Wednesday, May 2, 2007
My New Organized Kitchen
Remember the 30 day organizational challenge hosted by Laura. Well, the 30 days are up and here are the results. Laura asked some questions as we reflect on what we did.
1. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it? One of the biggest challenges is my limited space and abundance of things both equipment and food. I thought about getting rid of some things but considering that some things are difficult to find here I opted to keep them.
2. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order? Put things away and wash dishes throughout the day. One thing I realized is I buy some food item and we use half of it in a recipe and then it sits on the shelf until the next time so now if we have something one week and use half of it then the next week or two we will use up the rest of that item.
3. What did you do with the "stuff" you were able to purge out of your newly organized space? Some of it went in a box on the balcony where I have stored some kitchen things that I don't have space for in the kitchen. I found some food that we won't use most of which was free give aways and so I just got rid of that.
4. What was the biggest lesson you learned from this experience? Do a little bit each day. I did pause a bit in the middle of this project and didn't do a little bit each day so I had to scramble and finish the project in the 30 days. When I started 30 days seemed like a long time but it did go quickly.
5. Now that you have completed the PROCESS, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life? Yes, I love my new kitchen. It makes it easier to cook. I can find things, I know what I have, I have things labeled.
Here is the old and new kitchen.
Before - this is a general view of the kitchen.
Here is the after picture: A bit more organized and a little more space. Here is the cabinet that you used to have to be careful when you opened.
Now it is at least a bit more organized.
Before - this is the cabinet that would be above the Chinese stove. It has the vent which gets in the way and is just a high cabinet. I need my stepstool to reach things.
Here it is a bit more organized.
Another before cabinet.
After - I still have lots of almonds but they they are good and good for you.
Under the sink before
After - More organized
Here is the before of this drawer. Everything was just somewhat thrown in.
Now look. More organized. A place for measuring spoons, baby spoons and knives.
Before - This is a bookshelf that works as a pantry and cabinet space.Here is the organized. I finally made time and labeled all my containers. Yes, I love Tupperware.
Finally, the refrigerator which technically is not in the kitchen but in the dining room. My stove/oven is where the refrigerator would be.
I decided that the alphabet didn't need to stay on the refrigerator. I did sort through things on top.
Hmm, maybe in 30 days I should post pictures of the kitchen again.