Thursday, February 1, 2007

Spanokopita

Spanokopita is one of Bo's favorite things. It was one of those things that we thought you had to buy in a restaurant until today. I was flipping through Extending the Table . . . A World Community Cookbook looking for some lentil recipes when I found Spinach Pie aka Spanokopita. I can buy phyllo here so I decided to try this. It wasn't really that much work and it was a blessing to my husband. Miss K loved them. She ate 4. I figured it would be something that she would like as vegetable dumplings are one of her favorite things to eat.
Cook in a little water until tender, about 3 minutes:
6 c fresh spinach, chopped or 10-oz package frozen spinach
Draing
Mix with
1 c feta, Gruyere or cheddar cheese crumbled or shredded
1 c cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 oinion minched
2T fresh parsley, choped or 2 t dried parsley
1 t dried dill
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t salt
dash of ground nutmeg (optional)
Melt 1/2 c margarine or butter

The recipe gives directions to make one big pie but I decided to make individual ones. Cut 12 sheets of phyllo into 3-inch stripes, place a teaspoon of filling at one end of stripe and fold corner over to make a triangle, continue folding strip from side to side in shape of triangle. I did use butter to glue them closed.

You can freeze those and bake as needed.

Bake covered, 25 minutes at 350. Unocver and bake 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Since I made small ones, I baked them for 20 minutes and then uncovered. You really do need 10 minutes to get them brown.

Our favorite Greek restaurant has Grandma's recipe and it includes a bit of spearmint. I thought I had spearmint but discovered it was peppermint. I did add a bit of that and would have added more if it were spearmint.

No comments: