Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Living in a small space

Last week I had a conversation with my language tutor about housing. She was a bit surprised to learn that most people in America live in houses. I told her that I didn't know anyone in America that lives in a highrise. That caused me to think about how much space we have in America.

Currently we are living in a 700 sq foot apartment. I remember when I thought my 740 sq foot apartment was small and I was single. Now I am married with a child. Our apartment has 3 bedrooms and we have 2 bathrooms.

We have made some adjustments to living in this space. We have a double bed instead of a queen. We bought a love seat size sofa and it fits much nicer than trying to fit a full-size sofa in. Our table doubles or maybe I should be saying triples as a dining table, a desk, or a craft table depending on what I am doing. We went vertical so we have lots of tall bookcases.

I am learning contentment. I will admit at times there is a longing for more space. I am learning to be organized and creative in how I put things away.

Bo and I have talked that even is we return home at some point we would like to have a space place maybe a bit bigger because it would be nice to be able to get out on both sides of the bed.

Here are a few pictures of how space is used. I found this florist that is between two buildings in what looks like an alley. Most available space is used for something. Here are two 7-11's that are just a hole in the wall.

No comments: