Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Granola Bars

My husband, Bo, wanted me to buy granola bars. I am cheap at times and so instead of paying $26 for a imported box of granola bars I paid $26 for 1kg of oatmeal. I also bought honey. I came home and tried a recipe. We decided they were a bit too sweet. I made another full recipe today which was declared just right and Bo said I could sell it. I told him I would charge him.

Here is the recipe I started with

Chewy Granola Bars
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup or honey
1/2 cup margarine, melted
2 tsp vanilla
Mix together until well blended
Stir in
3 cups quick oatmeal
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sunflower nuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 cup chocolate or butterscotch chips

Press Mixture in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly borwned. Cool complete. Cut in 24 bars. This is from Mennonite Country-style recipes.

Okay, so here are the changes I made - a bit less than 1/2 cup of sugar, less honey. I used butter instead of margarine due to my preference of butter and also the fact that you can't buy margarine here. Skip the coconut because that is something I don't really like. Skip the sunflower nuts because I didn't have any. Add salted peanuts because I had them. Put the raisin in half because I am not a big raisin fan. Skip the sesame seeds. Keep the chocolate chips though I added less than a cup. I just broke it into pieces.

It does make a great snack and much less than the hard to chew granola bars that you buy in the store which for us are imported.

No comments: