Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wheat Thins

I made Wheat Thins the other day. I wanted to make them since that is a cracker that we like but cannot always find here. Of course, the day I make them I find them in the supermarket. I found the recipe in the More-with-Less cookbook and decided to try them. It was easy and things that I have on hand. They taste like Wheat Thins. My dough was a bit sticky so next time I will add a bit more flour so it is not as sticky and roll a bit thinner.

2 c whole wheat flour
2T wheat germ
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
2T brown sugar
2 T dry milk solids

Cut in with pastry blender:
6T butter

Combine separately and stir in
1/2 c water
1 T molasses

Knead a little until smooth. Grease two cookie sheets and sprinkle each with cornmeal. Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough directly onto cookie sheet with floured rolling pin, rolling dime-thin. Sprinkle lightly with paprika, garlic, onion, or seasoned salt. Run rolling pin over once more. Prick with fork. Cut in squares or triangles. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

More-with-less p. 310

No comments: