Monday, November 12, 2007

Who is on your "god shelf"?

Most homes or businesses will have a "god shelf" a place where they have an idol or maybe an offering to the god. It is common to see these all around the city. Most of the gods are not beautiful rather they are scary. The other day I was walking home from the supermarket and found these two "gods" along the street sitting with incense. Hmm, I actually recognize those gods. I pondered as I walked home and began to wonder if they were the god of materialism and pleasure. I wonder if those are gods on my "god shelf". Am I looking for pleasure and placing that up high as something I worship and desire. I think instead of pleasure I should be willing to make sacrifices so that God's name will be proclaimed. Maybe it is the god of materialism, the long wish list, the things I dream of having. There is nothing wrong with things but am I content with what God has given me.

I have been pondering who is on my "god shelf". I pray that the God that is there is the true and living God, the creator of heaven and earth. My heart's desire is also that those living here will come to know that God and put away the other gods.

No comments: