Monday, April 16, 2007

A Beautiful God

Last week a friend and I were wandering an Asia antique market. There amid the dishes, teapots, paintings were various idols. One thing that struck me as I looked at these were how scary they were. Their facial expression was what would be described as scary. Maybe it is done that way to cause people to fear them.

Additionally as I looked at them, none of the idols looked beautiful. As we wander the market, I thought of how beautiful my God, the living creator God is. I was reminded of David's words in Psalm 27:4 "One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple." Oh, to gaze upon the LORD and to see his beauty. To me gaze has the idea of looking, pondering, looking again, seeing new details and just looking. That is not what I did in the market that day. I glimpsed and looked the other way.

I am so thankful to know the living God who is a beautiful God.

No comments: