Friday, June 29, 2007

Home Sweet Home

If only, I knew where that was. Questions regarding home seem to leave expats staring into space and wondering how do I answer that. "Where is home?" Do you want to know where I live in the foreign counry? Are you asking where I lived before this? Maybe they want to know where I grew up. I don't know, "where is home?" That is a question that I ask myself and wonder.

Then you come "home" or to be complete in my terms return to your home country and the question is "Is it good to be home?" "Yes, no, wait, I am not home, well, maybe this is home." What is home? The people here speak my native language, the food is familiar but wait which side of the road do you drive on, do I ask "where is the lift?", no, I need to ask "where is the elevator?" So am I home. I still don't know. I do know that I am enjoying being here.

So if you meet someone who lives overseas and you ask them "where is home?" be prepared for a stare and maybe some fumbling of words as they try to figure out how to answer that question.

No comments: